OK, y’all. I’ve read tons of things in the past couple of days about the iPad2 and the MacBook Air, and I still can’t make up my mind. So I need your help. Please vote for how I should resolve my tech dilemma and add a comment if you have some insight for me!
Here’s my situation:
I work out of a home office, but I spend a lot of my time in my clients’ offices. I also travel out of town from time to time, and that’s going to increase this year. I need Internet access when I’m on the go, but I hate schlepping a lot of stuff around. My neck is ready to kill me. So I can’t keep hauling around my MacBook Pro.
Here are my technical requirements and considerations:
- I do a lot of writing. I use Microsoft Office and sometimes Pages and Numbers.
- I use Excel and OmniGraffle a lot for information architecture and taxonomy planning.
- I use TextMate a fair amount.
- I use DropBox daily to manage my files.
- I use some web-based apps like Basecamp, manage my blog, etc.
- I have a Sprint Overdrive which I like OK but isn’t cheap.
Here are the options I’m considering:
- I have a 2-year-old MacBook Pro. I might upgrade it this year, or I might wait til next year. I’m not unhappy with it.
- I’m considering the iPad2 with a wireless keyboard, and keeping the MB Pro for at home. My concerns: It’s not quite the same as a computer. How fast will it be? Could I get rid of the Overdrive if I got a 3G plan? Would that be stupid? Should I get a wireless iPad and keep the Overdrive? Can I really use it as a laptop on a 2-3 day trip?
- I’m considering the MacBook Air. Concerns: Can I replace my computer with it? [I’m thinking no.] I’d still have to keep the Overdrive. Will it be confusing to have two computers if I have Dropbox? Or just unnecessary? How does the power of the MB Pro compare to the Air?
- I’m glad to consider your favorite option too.
As you can see, I’m nowhere close to making a decision. Please help!